This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email
Social Security / Driver's License / Local Transportation - Columbus State University

{{ rssData.title }}

{{ rssData.description }}

Center for Global Engagement

Social Security / Driver's License / Local Transportation

How do I apply for a Social Security Number?

You must have a job offer before you are eligible to apply for a Social Security number and provide an offer letter or proof of employment. Once you have a job offer please send the offer letter or contract to A letter will be prepared for you to take to the Social Security Office.

F-1 visa holders need the following documentation in order to apply for a Social Security Card:

  • A letter from your employer stating that you have received an offer of employment.
  • An authorization letter from CSU's International Student and Scholar Services Coordinator.
    Note: Email to request this letter, attach the Employment Offer Letter.
  • Your passport
  • I-20 or DS2019
  • I-94, which can be printed from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site

The Social Security Administration office is located at:
7263 North Lake Drive
Columbus, GA 31909

You can call them at 706-494-6171 or toll free at 1-800-772-1213


Can I drive in Georgia and Alabama with a license from my home country?

Nonresident drivers over the age of 16 years who are lawfully present in the United States may operate a motor vehicle while in possession of a foreign driver's license for up to one year after arrival in the U.S. However, if you plan to stay here more than one semester you must apply for a Georgia driver's license and pass all of the required tests including the written exam, vision screening and road skills test.

How do I obtain a Georgia or Alabama driver's license?

Alabama or Georgia's Division of Motor Vehicles will issue you a license based on the results of two tests: a computerized test on theory and then a driving test. To take the driving test, you have to call and make an appointment. If you want to apply for a driver's license you must have a letter from the International Student Coordinator to take with you to the DDS office. Please e-mail with your current physical address and a letter will be prepared for you.

As an international student, you need to bring the following items with you:

  • Proof of residence (utility bill, bank statement, dorm contract, etc.)
  • An authorization letter from CSU's international student coordinator
  • Letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration or a valid Social Security card
  • Passport
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • I-94
  • Fee for license issuance - check the state's web sites for information
  • View the Georgia DDS Website for more information or Alabama DDS website

Important! You must provide either a Social Security number or a letter of ineligibility for a Social Security number Form SSAL 676 (this is a Social Security denial form) from a local Social Security Administration office before visiting a DMV customer service center to apply for a driver's license.

Please Note: There has been a new development in obtaining a Georgia Driver's License where the DDS can not confiscate your international driver's license at the time of your appointment. However, since this is a new law, make sure that you do not relinquish your international drivers license to the Georgia DDS.

Local Transportation

Columbus State provides a shuttle that runs between our main campus and downtown campus. Some shuttles stop at a local grocery store. This is free to all CSU students. Please see the shuttle schedule for details.

Metro Bus Service - Columbus does have a bus service but you need to really plan in order to be able to utilize it. Please visit Metra's website for more information.

To rent a car in the United States most companies require you to be 25 years of age. You would need to check with the car rental places for details.

Taxis are also available but can be expensive to use.

Ask Cody

Ask Cody