This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email
Visa & Passport Information - Columbus State University

{{ rssData.title }}

{{ rssData.description }}

Center for Global Engagement

Visa & Passport Information

a photo of a passport over an outline of a plane
  • Visas can only be "extended" or "renewed" outside of the United States
  • Visas are only used as a pass that allows you to come to the border of the U.S.
  • Your I-20, or DS-2019, is what allows you to actually enter and remain here legally, a valid visa is not needed to maintain your status once you are in the US
  • Visa renewal, when needed, is best done at the U.S. Embassy in your home country
  • Procedures and requirements for visas can vary slightly between countries and are often subject to change - please view your countries US Consulate or embassy web site for specific requirements
  • Visit the Web site to determine the procedures for applying for a visa at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where you wish to renew.
  • If you are traveling to another country from the United States you must check with a Visa company or that countries consulate or embassy to see what you need to enter
  • Passports can be renewed at your government's embassy in the United States or in your home country. You will need to search for the embassy that is closest to Columbus but most countries have an embassy in Atlanta.

Ask Cody

Ask Cody