Visa & Embassy Information
Once you have received your I-20 and acceptance letter from Columbus State:
- Make your VISA appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country
- Pay I-901 Fee at least 3 days before your VISA appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country. Information on paying the fee can be found at: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/i901/
- Apply for VISA at U.S. Embassy or Consulate – consult the U.S. Department of State's website for information on what you will need for your appointment and how to apply:https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html (not all countries require a VISA please consult your Embassy or Consulate)
- You can arrive up to 30 days prior to the program start date on your I-20 however you cannot reside in the campus dorms until the Monday prior to classes starting.
- Please view tips on how to prepare for your VISA interview here (PDF).
Your Visa and Embassy process will vary based on your exchange program. You will receive specific instructions from your university or by e-mail from our office.