The Vocal Arts Area of the Schwob School of Music at Columbus State University offers an engaging experience featuring a wide variety and large number of performing experiences for all vocal majors. Vocal students have the benefit of nationally recognized faculty, world-class facilities, and the individual attention required for each student to recognize and obtain their full potential as a musician.
Artistry and professionalism are cultivated throughout the unique curriculum with mentored guidance by our voice faculty. Vocal Faculty promote working together to create an environment that nourishes and supports professional and personal growth.
Vocalists at Schwob have numerous opportunities for group and solo performance. Students also benefit from the equally fantastic instrumental studios and ensembles, which adds depth to their musical education and broadens their future professional network.
- Varied and iconic repertoire of choral history with full orchestra
- Major roles in musical theater and opera with full orchestra
- Outreach music experiences across the community
- Annual Guitar and Voice Recital
- Solo work in studio class, convocation, and studio recitals
- Chamber music with our Percussion Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, and the Contemporary Music Ensemble
A jewel of the Southeast, RiverCenter for the Performing Arts was funded by the community of Columbus, GA and established in 2001.
Bill Heard Theatre
- Focus on stage work as a freshman
- Sequenced classes in foreign language diction
- Performance and Education majors all take two classes in Vocal Pedagogy and learn how to teach voice lessons
- All Voice majors receive weekly hour long instruction from a voice faculty member (graduate assistants do not teach lessons)
- Students receive the opportunity to sing both well-known and newly created masterworks regularly as part of their membership in Choral Union, our large symphonic chorus.
- Recent works include: Mozart Requiem, Verdi Requiem, Carmina Burana, Brahms Ein Deutsches Requiem, Handel’s Messiah, Holocaust Cantata by Donald McCullough, and The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci by Jocelyn Hagen.
Voices of the Valley Internships
- Serve as Paid Intern or Volunteer
- Gain experience working with children‘s choir, communicating with parents, directing the choir
- Undergraduate and graduate students perform and teach in our unique opera outreach program that tours schools across our community to bring the joy of opera and innovative education workshops to our K-12 students.
Collaborations with the Theatre and Dance Department
- Study Abroad website
- Music faculty have hosted international trips to Denmark, Paris, Oxford, Berlin, and Italy (Florence)
- Master Classes every semester
- Honors College
Graduates of the Schwob School of Music are singing around the world and our music education majors enjoy a one hundred percent placement rate upon graduation. See our Alumni Success and Student Achievement Page for more!
Undergraduate students in the Vocal Arts Area at the Schwob School of Music are in one of three degree programs:
This program prepares students for certification in music education who have already obtained a degree in music.
Certificates and Minors
- Certificate of Music Theatre Performance: additional audition required
- Public Musicology Certificate
- Audio Technology Minor
- Dance Minor
Graduate students may choose from three programs of study:
If you are interested in a Graduate Degree (MM) in Choral Conducting, please contact Dr. David Hahn at firstname.lastname@example.org.