Custodial Services is responsible for cleaning the interiors of campus buildings including classrooms, lecture halls, theaters, laboratories, clinical areas, libraries, offices, halls, stairs, elevators and other public areas as well as cleaning and re-supplying building restrooms on a regularly scheduled basis. Most routine cleaning is scheduled once per day.
Routine services provided on a daily as needed basis include:
- Trash removal, sweeping, spot mopping, spot vacuuming, cleaning and replenishing chalk or markers in classrooms and auditoriums, sweeping and complete vacuuming (twice a week), cleaning as needed, sanitizing, repairing dispensers and replenishing supplies, decluttering cabinet tops, window sills, banisters, etc.
- Chalkboards and whiteboards
- Door glass, doors, walls, tabletops, and podiums
- Building entry doors
- Recyclables Collection: Custodians collect recyclables from color-coded bagits (white, white paper; green, mixed paper; blue, newsprint) and public-area containers on a daily basis. Up to 6 pieces of flattened cardboard will be collected from each workstation. The recycling-collection crew will deliver additional bagits, collect up to 10 boxes of recyclables, including paper, journals, soft-bound books, and large quantities of flattened cardboard 15+ pieces.
General Custodial Guidelines (PDF)
Additional services provided periodically:
- Classroom furniture and audio-visual stands
- Twice weekly
- Buffing, stripping, and refinishing, as needed
- Removing spots and gum, bonnet buffing, and small-scale extraction, as needed. Carpets are extracted every 2 1/2 years. The deep-cleaning process used is water extraction. If a spill occurs, place a dampened paper towel with cold water on it submit an eQuest for deep-cleaning requests.
- Windows (outsides only are cleaned every 2 years for most academic buildings on campus). Building Coordinators are notified 5-10 days prior to the arrival of the window washers. Building Coordinators are responsible for notifying the building occupants. The window washers announce their presence at each office before beginning the window cleaning. Classrooms are cleaned between scheduled classes to minimize disruption.
University Support Services will make every effort to provide window washing and carpet cleaning services at times most beneficial and convenient to departments. Periodic services in classrooms and lecture halls are generally scheduled during class breaks.