This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email
About - Columbus State University

{{ rssData.title }}

{{ rssData.description }}

Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps)


What is ROTC?

Army ROTC's program includes courses that teach things such as leadership development, military skills and adventure training. This will take place both in the classroom and in the field, but you will maintain a normal academic schedule like all college students. Depending on when you enroll in Army ROTC, you will undergo most or all of the military training courses. And the best part about this leadership development? You will use and benefit from it for years to come. When you graduate with a four year degree, you'll receive a diploma and a commission as a Second Lieutenant (2LT) in the United States Army with a starting salary of approximately $45,000 if selected for active duty.

What are my commitments?

For those entering CSU, you do not have any commitments with ROTC (unless you have a ROTC scholarship). You can take ROTC classes during your freshman and sophomore years to see if ROTC is for you. If you decided that ROTC is not for you, then you are not obligated to join the Army.

What types of ROTC scholarships are there?

There are two and three year campus-based scholarships available with which you can receive 100% coverage of your tuition and fees OR your room and board.
Additional Assistance (You must be contracted and/or a scholarship recipient):

  • Monthly Stipend - $420 (August through May)
  • Book Stipend ($600/semester)

How do I earn an ROTC scholarship?

  • Must be U.S Citizen
  • Maintain a 2.5 GPA
  • Must be 17-27 years of age (must be 29 years or less at the time of commissioning)
  • Pass a health physical exam
  • Pass Army Physical Fitness Test

As a freshman, what should I do now?

  • Complete the basic course requirements:
    • Military Science MSAL 1215 Classroom and MSAL 1215 Lab (Fall)
    • MSAL 1216 Classroom and MSAL 1216L Lab (Spring)

Can I start ROTC as a sophomore?

  • Yes!  You would need to contact the Recruiting Operations Officer, Mr. Patrick "Scott" Jones at 706-507-8031 or by email.
  • If you start ROTC during your sophomore year, you may be required to attend Basic Camp at Ft. Knox, KY, during the summer months after your sophomore year.  By attending Basic Camp, you will be given credit for what normal-progression Cadets have already learned in their first two years of military science classes.
  • Basic Camp is a 31-day training event designed to introduce Cadets to the Army. The objective is to develop Cadet leadership skills and train them on individual and junior leader tasks to develop and reinforce Warrior Ethos and our Army Values. Basic Camp provides the critical thinking skills necessary to succeed in ROTC, and, ultimately, the Army. 
  • Complete the basic course requirements:
    • Military Science MSAL 2225 Classroom and MSAL 2225L Lab (Fall)
    • Military Science MSAL 2226 Classroom and MSAL 2226L Lab (Spring)

What happens in my junior year?

  • You must have met ALL the requirements to be enrolled in the advanced curriculum (junior and senior year).  You may have the opportunity to contract or earn a scholarship with Army ROTC
  • Take Military Science classes and Lab each semester. Attending Physical Fitness training is included in the curriculum.
    • Military Science MSAL 3231 Classroom and MSAL 3231L Lab (Fall)
      Military Science MSAL 3232 Classroom and MSAL 3232L Lab (Spring)
  • Go to Advanced Camp at the end of your junior year (30 days during summer months)
  • Note: HIST 3146 (Intro to US Military History) is a commissioning requirement and is only offered during Fall semesters.

What happens in my senior year?

  • Take Military Science classes each semester
    • Military Science MSAL 4245 Classroom and MSAL 4245L Lab (Fall)
      Military Science MSAL 4795 Classroom and MSAL 4795L Lab (Spring)
  • Maintain Height and Weight
  • Maintain the Army standards to pass a Physical Training Test (APFT)
  • Commission as a Second Lieutenant upon your graduation

What ROTC classes count towards my degree?

The grade you earn in any Military Science classes counts towards your GPA. All Military Science students are requested to claim Military Science as their minor which will allow classes to be included in your degree plan.

MSAL 4419 (Military Physical Fitness) meets the requirements for Physical Education - Activity (PEDS).

MSAL 4225 (Advanced Physical Fitness Techniques) meets the requirements for Physical Education (PHED).

What if I have already finished my undergraduate degree?

Graduate students can still apply and have graduate school paid for with two year scholarship opportunities.  If you have no military or ROTC experience, you may be required to attend Basic Camp at Ft. Knox during the summer prior to starting Grad school.

Ask Cody

Ask Cody