Mentor Teacher Resources
As a mentor teacher for UTeach Columbus, students enrolled in Step 1 and Step 2 courses at CSU, what will be asked of you?
- Have a positive attitude. The UTeach Columbus students you will mentor are new to teaching. You will need to provide encouragement and be patient as they learn.
- Offer lots of feedback. Provide information on why a lesson is good or how it can be made better.
- Be physically present during the lesson. Students may need your guidance and help in managing the class so they can focus on implementing a student-centered inquiry model.
- Spend some time communicating with the students; share your opinions and answer their questions.
- Help students select a topic for the lessons they will design.
- Complete an online lesson feedback after each team visit.
- At the end of the semester, submit a review for each "step" student you have mentored.
Professional Development Opportunities
- Einstein Fellowship - The Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship is a paid fellowship for K-12 science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) teachers. Einstein Fellows spend a school year in Washington, D.C., serving in a federal agency or on Capitol Hill. To be eligible, applicants must be U.S. citizens, be a current employed full-time in a U.S. public or private elementary or secondary school or school district, and must have taught full-time in a public or private elementary or secondary school for at least five of the last seven years in a STEM discipline. Information about the Albert Einstein Distinguished Educator Fellowship Program, including eligibility requirements, program benefits, application requirements, and access to the online application system can be found at http://science.energy.gov/wdts/einstein/.
- Columbus Regional Mathematics Collaborative - The resource staff of the CRMC and teacher leaders mentor other teachers and administrators, encourage parent and public involvement in mathematics education, and develop means to support all teachers of mathematics in their professional growth. For information on upcoming professional development opportunities, visit the CRMC website at https://www.columbusstate.edu/crmc/.