Faculty Awards and Accolades
- Libretto for the opera Eddie's Stone Song: Odyssey of the First Pasaquoyan
- New production of his play Seven Dreams of Falling at the Collaborative Theatre Project in Oregon.
- The Carson Monologues, celebrating the Carson McCullers Centennial premiered in the Bill Heard Theatre at the RiverCenter, Columbus, GA.
- Stone, River, Sky: An Anthology of Georgia Poems, editor
- Premiere of The Ariadne Songs in Legacy Hall at the RiverCenter, Columbus, GA.
- Seven Dreams of Falling, a play published by Black Box Press.
- 2017: Production of original play Ace: The Eugene Bullard Story in Spring 2017 at the Springer Opera House, Columbus, GA.
- 2016: Staged reading of original play Prodigal in Winter 2016 at the Springer Opera House, Columbus, GA.
- 2015: Production of original play The Old Ship of Zion in Summer 2015 at the Essential Theatre in Atlanta, GA.
- Forgotten under a Tropical Sun: War Stories by American Veterans in the Philippines, 1898–1913. The Kent State University Press, 2017.
- The MacArthur Highway and Other Relics of American Empire in the Philippines. Potomac Books, 2010.
- Gentleman Soldier: John Clifford Brown and the Philippine-American War. Texas A&M University Press, 2003.
- American Exiles in the Philippines, 1941–1996: A Collected Oral Narrative. New Day Publishers, 1999.
“Forgotten Stories of a Forgotten War, 1898-1905.” Bulletin of the American Historical Collection 40, no. 3&4 (July-December 2012): 19-43.
“World War II and the End of American Sovereignty, 1941-1945.” Unitas: Quarterly Scholarly Journal of the University of Santo Tomas 71, no. 1 (March 1998): 83-123.
“Eddie Woolbright: a Biographical Sketch Drawn from an Oral Narrative.” Bulletin of the American Historical Collection 25, no. 3 (July-September, 1997): 7-20.
Recent Awards and grants
- Recipient of Loudermilk Research Funds to support research presentation at Tennessee TESOL, Memphis, TN, 2016.
- Nominee for CSU’s Scholarship of Teaching Award (2016)
- Pelaez-Morales, C. (2017, in press). Second language writing scholarship in JSLW: An updated report of research published between 1992-2015. Journal of Second Language Writing.
- McIntosh, K., Pelaez-Morales, C. & Silva, T. (Eds.). (2016). Graduate studies in second language writing. Anderson, SC: Parlor Press.
- Pelaez-Morales, C., and Ryan Angus. (2015). L2 writing at the K–12 level: Knowledge base and practice in teaching ELLs. In L. De Oliveira & Mike Yough (Eds.), Preparing Teachers to Work with English Language Learners in Mainstream Classrooms (pgs. 115-130). Location: Information Age Publishing/TESOL press
- De Oliveira, L., Gilmetdinova, A., & Pelaez-Morales, C. (July 2015). The Use of Spanish by a Monolingual Kindergarten Teacher to Support English Language Learners. Language and Education Journal 29(5) pp.1-21.
Honors and Awards
- Nautilus Book Award winner for Minding Bodies: how physical space, sensation, and movement affect learning (WVU Press, 2021), Silver medal in Social Sciences and Education category, 2022
- Scholar, University System of Georgia Executive Leadership Institute, 2019-20
- Open Educational Resources Research Fellow, Open Education Group, 2015-16
- Statewide Winner, Regents’ Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, University System of Georgia, 2013
- Season 4, Episode 6, “Minding Bodies—How Physical Space, Sensation, and Movement Affect Learning with Susan Hrach,” Dead Ideas in Teaching podcast, Columbia University Center for Teaching and Learning (April 8, 2022) https://ctl.columbia.edu/resources-and-technology/resources/podcast/
- Episode 108, “Susan Hrach,” Leading Lines podcast, Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching (March 22, 2022) https://leadinglinespod.com/uncategorized/episode-108susan-hrach/
- Interview with Susan Hrach, author of Minding Bodies, The ‘Q’ Newsletter, American College and University Educators (ACUE). (July 13, 2021) http://eepurl.com/hDG3i5
- “Minding Bodies, Senses, and Perception with Susan Hrach,” ThinkUDL podcast with Lillian Nave. https://thinkudl.org/episodes/minding-bodies-senses-and-perception-with-susan-hrach (June 1, 2021)
- “Ultimate Summer 2021 Reading List for Professors, #3 Minding Bodies,” Higher Ed Trends blog for Top Hat with Harleen Dhami. (June 1, 2021) https://tophat.com/blog/summer-reading-list-2021/
- “Teaching: Students Aren’t Brains on Sticks,” Teaching newsletter with Beckie Supiano, Chronicle of Higher Education. (May 20, 2021) https://www.chronicle.com/newsletter/teaching/2021-05-20
Open Educational Resources
- “Embodied Learning: how to bring movement into the classroom, and why it matters,” Times Higher Education / THE Campus, London UK and worldwide (November 26, 2021) https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/embodied-learning-how-bring-movement-classroom-and-why-it-matters
- “Minding the Body in Remote Learning Environments,” Thriving in Academe 39.4 (November 2021). https://www.nea.org/advocating-for-change/new-from-nea/minding-body-remote-learning-environments-thriving-academe
Keynote Presentations for Minding Bodies
- Academic Technology SHAREcase, University of Minnesota, June 8, 2022
- Lecture Breakers Conference, June 8, 2022
- Military Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Forum, April 13, 2022
- USG Teaching and Learning Conference, April 1, 2022
- Teaching Matters Conference, March 8, 2022
- 2015 Recipient of the Columbus State University Teaching Excellence Award
- “In the Words of the Apostle: Pauline Apostolic Discourse in the Letters of St. Boniface and his Circle.” Early Medieval Europe 25.3 (2017): 320-358.
- “Engelond and Armorik Briteyne: Reading Brittany in Chaucer’s Franklin’s Tale.” Chaucer Review: A Journal of Medieval Studies and Literary Criticism 51.3 (2016): 271-293.
- “The Reluctant Apostle: Heroic Rhetoric and Human Frailty in the Old English Andreas.” Medieval Perspectives: Journal of the Southeastern Medieval Association 30 (2015): 183-208.
- “The Elevation of the Apostles in Cynewulf’s Christ II: Ascension.” PQ: Philological Quarterly 91.4 (2012): 513-535.
2019 CSU International Educator of the Year
Major Publications & professional activities:
- Jeon, K. S. (September, 2014). Language Processing Difficulty in the Development of Negation: The Case of L2 Korean Negation. Language Information, Korea University Press.
- Jeon, K. S. (2017). “Sorry! Apology strategies in ESL learners” The Linguistic Association of Korea Journal, 25(2).
- Jeon, K. S. (presented, July, 2017). Transitioning from student to teacher. The Korean Association of Teachers of English International Conference, Seoul, South Korea.
- 2017 Recipient of the Honors College Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Won Pushcart Prize (2017)
- Completed public art installation “powerhouse” on the Chattahoochee RiverWalk in collaboration with artist Mike McFalls (2016)
- Had poem selected for U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser’s American Life in Poetry (2016)
- Had poem selected for NPR’s Writer’s Almanac with Garrison Keillor (2013)
- Published critical article on poetry of Nobel Laureate Seamus Heaney in Estudios Irlandeses, University of Barcelona (2016)
- Nominee for CSU’s Educator of the Year (2016)
Dr. Bentley was named Georgia's "English Teacher of the Year" in 2016 by the Georgia Council of Teachers of English. An active scholar in English education, she is the co-editor of Teaching/Writing: The Journal of Writing Teacher Education and regularly shares her research findings and pedagogical practices through conference presentations, teaching workshops, and journal publications.
- Rendleman, Eliot, and Judith Livingston. "The Dynamics of Collaboration and Hierarchy: Developing, Assessing, and Revising a First-Year Composition—Writing Center Partnership." Writing Program and Writing Center Collaborations: Transcending Boundaries, edited by Alice J. Myatt and Lynée Lewis Gaillet. Macmillan, 2017, pp. 67-94. ISBN: 978-1-137-59931-5, doi: 10.1057/978-1-137-59932-2, URL: https://goo.gl/mXtznp. Accessed 14 Oct. 2016.
- "Lexicography: Self-Analysis and Defining the Keywords of Our Missions." The Writing Lab Newsletter vol. 37, no. 1-2, 2012, pp. 1-5, wlnjournal.org/archives/v37/37.1-2.pdf. Accessed 14 Sept. 2016. Reprinted in The Best of the Independent Rhetoric and Composition Journals 2013, edited by Steve Parks, Morris Young, and Elisabeth Miller. Parlor Press, 2015.
- "Balancing Act: Student Valuation and Cultural Studies Textbooks for Composition." Composition Forum vol. 24, 2011 , compositionforum.com/issue/24/balancing-act-textbooks.php. Accessed 14 Sept. 2016.
Awards and Honors
- USG Regents’ Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Award, Columbus State University, 2015.
- International Writing Centers Association Professional Scholarship, Southeastern Writing Center Association, 2015.
- Gary A. Olson Scholarship, Southeastern Writing Center Association, 2013.
- QEP Grant, National Day on Writing event. Columbus State University, Columbus, GA, 2009.