audition application form closes Thursday, February 29, 2024 at 5 p.m.
Auditions will be held in person at the Riverside Theatre on
Friday, March 1, 2024 at 1 p.m.
Please complete your audition packet by Thursday, February 29, 2024 at 5 p.m.
- For all degree tracks, the deadline for submission of the digital audition form is Thursday, February 29, 2024 at 5 p.m.
- For application to CSU, official transcripts are required, but for application to the Theatre Department, copies are acceptable
- Contact information for questions regarding the Required Audition Materials: please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Audition Materials
- Digital Audition Form
- To submit your application, please fill out this digital audition form.
- We only require one headshot for the audition packet
- Does not have to be professional grade, but should have at least good image quality and lighting
- Theatre Resumé
- Transcript (must include your cumulative GPA)
- Unofficial Transcripts are acceptable for the Theatre Department audition (not for CSU application). Please bring two copies to the audition.
- If you are currently enrolled at CSU or another university, please bring both your high school transcript and the most up to date transcript from your university
- If you are currently enrolled in CSU, please go to MyCSU under Student Records and select the Academic Transcript - View Unofficial to print and bring to the audition.
- Two Recommendations
- Please have a teacher and/or someone familiar with your work in theatre write a letter of recommendation addressing: 1) Their position and how they know you; 2) Your work in theatre and your promise as an rising theatre artist; and, 3) Your overall work ethic and potential as a university student.
- The Recommender can submit a Letter of Recommendation that addresses the items above as an attachment via email from a verified school email address, or as a letter sent to the address below.
Attn: Dept. of Theatre
4225 University Avenue
Columbus, GA 31907
Note: If any part of your Audition Packet (Digital Audition Form, Two Recommendations, Transcript, Resume, and Headshot) is missing, this will delay the decision on whether of not you have been accepted into the department. A letter of response will be sent out only to those with completed audition packets
General Audition Information:
- ALL APPLICANTS ARE AUTOMATICALLY CONSIDERED FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AT THE TIME OF AUDITION
- You may audition for only ONE of the following: BA, BFA Performance, BSEd, or BFA Design/Tech
- The Audition Interview includes either a presentation of portfolio materials demonstrating previous theatre involvement (may include design/tech, dramaturgy, playwriting, or other supporting materials), OR
- Presentation of Audition/Interview - Two contrasting monologues OR one monologue and 16 bars of music (the total time of your audition should NOT exceed 90 seconds)
- For those students interested in the BFA Design/Tech track who are submitting examples of their work, this can consist of shots from a production you worked on, sketches of costumes, a rubric of what your process was when working on a show, etc.
Programs of Study:
- BA in Theatre Arts
- BFA with an emphasis in Acting
- BFA with an emphasis in Design & Technology
- BSEd in Theatre Education
- MSEd in Theatre Education
Note: Incoming freshman may audition for any of the above areas (with the exception of the MSEd in Theatre Education) but may be admitted into the BA program prior to being able to qualify for another area of study within the department. If this is the case, then incoming students may apply to one of the other areas of study as part of the Freshman Jury process during their freshman year.
Notable (for new and current students):
- If you miss a Theatre Department Entrance Audition, you are invited to come to CSU and register as an UNDECLARED major. You can then audition during your first semester at one of our listed audition dates to enter the department
- For Retention: All Theatre Majors are required to maintain a 2.75 GPA in their program of study
Musical Theatre Performance Certificate (MTC)
- The MTC is an intensive course of study that includes credits in Music, Theatre, and Dance. Acceptance is by audition only.
- For admittance into the MTC you must be accepted by audition to a Music or Theatre bachelor's degree program. The MTC auditions are open to both auditioning and current CSU theatre majors and music majors.
- The electronic audition for the MTC requires a recorded video submission, which is in addition to the materials required for an audition/interview into either a theatre or music program. You must complete both auditions separately.
Requirements for the MTC video audition:
- To submit your application, please fill out the Digital Audition Form linked here: Musical Theatre Performance Certificate Form
- The digital audition form will require you to upload an up-to-date headshot, resume, and a YouTube link containing your video audition.
- Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2024
Video Audition Details:
- The submitted video audition should be filmed as full-body, wide-angle, and should contain a song, a monologue, and choreography.
- State your name, the name of the pieces performed, and the Theatre or Music degree program for which you are auditioning or currently participating.
- The song and monologue should not exceed 90 seconds TOTAL. The song must include accompaniment, either live or recorded.
- Those auditioning for a Theatre degree in person may utilize the same 90 second monologue and song selection for the MTC video submission if they choose.
- The music and choreography to be used for your audition video is within the link below:
- Musical Theatre Choreography (YouTube)
- Upload your completed video audition to YouTube with a privacy setting of “unlisted” and include the link in the Digital Audition Form linked above