The Melissa D. White-Coleman Academic & Service Scholarship
The Melissa D. White-Coleman Academic & Service Scholarship, created by Dwayne White, was created in 2020 to honor his mother. This scholarship supports male students of African descent as they matriculate at Columbus State University. Melissa D. White-Coleman was a servant at heart, and we seek to honor her name by awarding this scholarship to a student wanting to enact social change. This scholarship is awarded to students who exhibit an interest in service and excel academically.
The scholarship recipient will sign a contract agreeing to complete 10 hours of community service, which they will need to complete by the end of Spring 2022.
$1000 ($500 each semester)
- Deadline to apply: June 21
- Interviews begin: July 12
- Selection process: July 19–July 23
- Recipient notified: July 26
ApplicationsRequired for consideration:
- A complete application
- Unofficial transcripts
- A minimum GPA of 2.70
- Must be pursuing a bachelor‘s degree
- A two-page personal statement. Your personal statement is an example of your writing and is weighted heavily in your overall score. Effective personal statements show your heart and your passion. They are factual, thorough, articulate, and free of grammatical or spelling errors.
- Two reference letters: one affiliated with CSU and one from a member of the community
Submit your applications by June 21––we look forward to receiving them!