International Transfer Students
International transfer students at Columbus State are students who have attended other colleges/universities and have more than 30 transfer college hours.
Fall Semester (begins in August) - June 1st
Spring Semester (begins in January) - November 1st
Summer Term (begins in June) - April 1st
A minimum college/university GPA of 2.0 and eligibility to return is required.
How to Apply
- Submit the Undergraduate Admission Application along with the $40 non-refundable application fee.
- Submit Academic Transcripts
- Applicants must provide a course by course professional evaluation with GPA calculation of all foreign college credits. This evaluation must be completed by a NACES or AICE evaluator or Lisano International . We recommend using Josef Silny (PDF), World Education Services, or SpanTran. Please contact the evaluator directly to see what they require to perform your evaluation. CSU must receive the original evaluation directly from the evaluating service. Transcripts from any U.S. colleges attended are also required.
- If you are planning to transfer credits from your home country college or university,
please bring course descriptions (in English) of each course you have taken and completed.
You can obtain such descriptions from a recent course catalog from your school or
from the syllabus for each course. Even if the Admissions Office has already given
you a transfer evaluation, you should bring the course description, as this will guide
your academic advisor in assigning the maximum allowable credit to you.
- English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose native language is not English (as identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:
|Test||Minimum Score Requirement|
TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
(Includes Computer Based (IBT), Home Edition, My Best, and
Note that TOEFL Essentials will not be accepted
IELTS - International English Language Testing System
(Includes Indicator version; Indicator scores accepted through December 2023)
|SAT Evidence-Based Reading/Writing||480|
|ACT English or ACT Reading||17|
MET - Michigan English Test
Cambridge FCE, CAE, or CPE
Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) - IGCSE and "O" Level English Exams
|D or better|
UK GCSE English Exam
|C or better|
UK GCE A-Level English Exam
|C or better|
Edexcel International A-Levels and IGCSE English Exams
|D or better|
Pearson (PTE) Academic (conventional and online)
*Scores from tests taken more than five years prior to application for admission will
not be accepted
Exceptions to the English proficiency requirement:
- Applicants who have attended a U.S. College and have taken ENGL 1101 and 1102 with a passing grade of C or better.
- Applicants holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.
Receiving an I-20
A completed Financial Guarantee Form (PDF) must be completed and supplemented with an original bank statement or letter stating the required amount is available. If the student has a sponsor the sponsor must provide a letter stating what expenses they are covering and must provide the required guarantee form and bank document. Bank documents must be original and be mailed to the university.
Applicants applying for an F-1 student visa will need to be issued an I-20 from Columbus State University. An I-20 will only be issued to students who have been fully admitted to CSU and have provided the required financial documentation. Once accepted, a completed Financial Guarantee Form (PDF), a bank statement, and a copy of your passport must be submitted to the Admissions Office.
All students must turn in a completed immunization form (PDF) before registering for classes.
Columbus State University offers conditional admission to qualified applicants if the academic requirements for admission have been met, but there is insufficient English proficiency. To be eligible for Conditional admission, applicants must meet one of the following:
- IELTS score of 4.5
- TOEFL score of either 480 or better (paper test), 54 (Internet-based test)
Conditionally admitted students will be required to take certain courses in the English Language Institute (ELI) and successfully meet minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements before taking other courses at Columbus State University. A student may remain on conditional admission status for no more than three semesters.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact:
Christine Shaw, Coordinator of Global Engagement