Vacation and sick leave hours are accrued based on the status and duration of employment with Columbus State University.
Regular, full-time benefits-eligible employees accrue vacation leave that is pro-rated based on the years of service:
- 1–5 years of service:
- 10 hours for each full month
- 6–10 years of service:
- 12 hours for each full month
- 10+ years of service:
- 14 hours for each full month
Sick leave is accrued at the rate of eight hours of each full month (with no maximum accrual). Unused sick leave may be used toward retirement under the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia (TRSGA).
Part-time, benefits-eligible employees working at least one-half time but less than full-time earn and accrue vacation and sick leave on a pro-rata basis according to the percentage of time employed. Temporary employees, including student assistants, graduate assistants, and part-time instructors do not earn or accrue vacation or sick leave credit.
- There is a 360-hour maximum annual carryover of vacation leave.
- Nine-month contract faculty do not accrue vacation hours.
- Accrued vacation and sick leave is listed on each employee's paycheck stub.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Any employee (including part-time and temporary) of the University System of Georgia, who has:
- been employed by the University System of Georgia for at least twelve months total (not necessarily the last twelve months), and
- worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12-month period immediately preceding the leave
...is eligible to be granted family leave for conditions authorized by the Family and Medical Leave Act.
The Act provides that employees may be granted up to twelve work weeks of job-protected leave during a 12-month period.