- West Central Health District
- Georgia Department of Public Health
- New Horizons
- Quitman County
- Beginning New
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- Hispanic Community Outreach
Areas of Growth
Establishing a consortium of data analysts to assist in the development, implementation, and analyses of research studies in a variety of areas, while providing our CSU students with opportunities to learn data analytic methods and engage with our partners.
About our Current and On-going Projects
The center currently has 4 on-going program evaluation contracts, totaling $179,000. The Center provides Beginning New with a program instructor. With Morehouse SOM, we are collaborating with the Georgia Department of Public Health to create educational materials to combat the opioid epidemic in Muscogee County.
About our Future Projects
We are partnering with the Math Collaborative to obtain a Classroom Research Grant, where teachers in math classrooms in Columbus will implement a Thinking Classroom. We will be evaluating this method, based on student engagement and performance on common assessments. We are also working towards an NIH Clinical Trial grant that will propose a fall intervention RCT, targeting fatigue and fatigability in older adults, as a means for fall prevention.
Impact on CSU and Community
The Center of Health Disparities and Community-Based Research strives to make a difference both on campus as well as within the community. Both current and future students at Columbus State University are presented with several opportunities that are designed to advance both their academic and professional careers.
Within the community the center seeks new ways to better individuals' health and limit the barriers they may face when seeking care, treatment, healthy foods or resources. The Center holds a number of events each year for both the students and the community like workshops, CASPER surveys and community health events.
- June/July 2023
- SCRUBS Camp for high school students in Georgia for students seeking healthcare related occupations.
- June 2023
- Sheroes scholarship shaping the future of young women in high school to provide resources to equip students in a health-related career with Columbus State University.
- April 2023
- 2nd Annual Autism Carnival to raise awareness in our community.
- April 2023
- Tower Day Undergraduate scientific poster presentations with alumni guest speakers highlighting health disparities and community involvement throughout the nation.
- March 2023
- Long-term Casper survey partnered with the West Central Department of Public Health providing resources and collecting data in the community.
- February 2023
- LGBTQ+ Event for students to provide a healthy safe environment on campus for students.
- December 2022
- Evaluation of Nexus, CMHC, CCBHC, mental health services for New Horizons.
- November 2022
- Graduate and undergraduate students presented for the annual American Public Health Association in Boston.
- October 2022
- Partnered with the DPH Public Health on Wheels on educating the community with prevention tools necessary to prevent opioid deaths.
- September 2022
- Healthy Aging Event for a walk to end Alzheimer's