This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email
Veterans Benefits - Columbus State University

{{ rssData.title }}

{{ rssData.description }}

Military-Connected Student Services

For active-duty soldiers, veterans and their families

Veterans Benefits

If this is your first time using VA Education Benefits

  • Apply to use VA Education Benefits 
    • School‘s address: Columbus State University, 4225 University Avenue Columbus, Georgia 31907
    • Training starts the first day of the CSU semester you will be attending CSU according to the CSU Academic Calendar.
    • For Active Duty and Veterans, you may find entry and separation dates on your DD214 (Items 12a and 12b).
  • Print and keep a copy of the final page of your application showing the confirmation number for your application.
  • While following the steps to apply, do not forget to submit your military documents, especially your DD-214. JSTs (Joint Service Transcripts) can be submitted electronically to the Admissions office. Any training you had will show up on your JST and will be evaluated by CSU.

If you plan on using Veteran Educational Benefits at Columbus State University

You must follow the steps below to complete the initial paperwork:

  • Log into your MyCSU Account
  • Under Student Records, click on the Military Enrollment Form
  • Complete the Military Enrollment Form
  • Email a copy of your Award Letter (which is provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs once you have applied to use your benefits).

Examples of Award Letters:

If you have previously used your VA Educational Benefits at another institution

VA prefers one of the following:

"All military students should speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor with their military service prior to enrolling at Columbus State University or any institution. Since military funding is limited, it is important for all service members to use all their resources in making any educational decision."

Yellow Ribbon Program

Yellow Ribbon School

Columbus State University participates in the VA Yellow Ribbon Program. In order to participate in the VA educational benefits Yellow Ribbon Program, CSU students must be eligible for Chapter 33, Post 9/11 educational benefits at 100% entitlement and being charged out of state tuition rates.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs: "Institutions of Higher Learning (Degree Granting Institutions) may elect to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement."

At Columbus State University the additional funds will cover some the cost of out-of-state tuition if you are currently attending Columbus State and being charged out-of-state tuition.

Columbus State will make available $500.00 for the fall semester and $500.00 for the spring semester and VA will match this amount for fall and spring semester.

Each semester you will receive $1,000 towards the out of state tuition charged. This is not for summer semester terms.

The Yellow Ribbon Program is awarded on a first come basis and limited to 15 students.

If you would like to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program, please stop by the CSU Veterans Affairs Office.

If you have further questions, please refer to the link below provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill website regarding the Yellow Ribbon Program:

Points to Remember

  • Chapters 1606, 1607, and 30 Monthly Verification WAVE or call 1-877-823-2378. Use your Social Security number for your file number.
  • You cannot receive GI Bill® and Tuition Assistance for the same course.
  • You can only be certified with the VA for classes on the Plan of Study for your major listed in DegreeWorks.
  • VA considers 12 credit hours as full time. Less than full time is prorated up to 7 hours. Hours half-time or less will not be prorated.
  • All Major changes must be reflected in DegreeWorks to be certified.
  • You will probably owe money back to the VA, if you withdraw from a class.
  • You will receive prorated payments the first and last months of the semester if you are not in school the full month.
  • If you have questions, call the VA at 1-888-442-4551 or contact your UNG Veterans Benefits.
  • Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 Fry Scholarship complete VA Form 22-5495 "Dependents Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.

Department of Veterans Affairs Resources

Learn more about the different Veteran Educational Benefits, utilize the GI Bill comparison tool, and find out if you are eligible to use Veteran Educational benefits.

Department of Veterans Affairs

Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Post 9/11 GI Bill®

Montgomery GI Bill®

GI Bill®

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VA Work-Study Program

Tutorial Assistance Program

VA Forms

W.A.V.E. - Verifying your attendance

GI Bill® Comparison Tool

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Ask Cody

Ask Cody