More Information and Guidelines
To ensure that we provide our graduates with a memorable and exciting experience, we wanted to provide pertinent information to all those involved with the ceremony. Below you will find information regarding commencement, from rules to timelines and everything in between.
Attached you will find a parking map with information for handicap, limited mobility, restricted areas, and road closures. Please follow the directions of the officers and CSU employees as they do their best to get everyone to a parking space and into the building on time. There is limited handicap-accessible parking located in the parking deck next to the Lumpkin Center. We have made arrangements for additional handicap parking in Lot 14 next to the deck. There is no charge for parking.
We will have 2 small shuttles dedicated to handicap designated areas. CSU Shuttle buses and a trolley will be going through the other parking lots to shuttle any guests with limited mobility.
Concessions & Memorabilia
We will have bottled water, soft drinks and light snacks available for purchase at the Lumpkin Center, first level concession stand. The CSU bookstore will also be located in the Lumpkin Center lobby for purchase of memorabilia and last minute graduate needs.
Facilities In Use
The Student Recreation Center will be utilized for graduate check in and line up.
The Frank G. Lumpkin Jr. Center will be utilized for all three ceremonies, the stage party, faculty hospitality, and line up. Students and guests will enter through the University Avenue Main Entrance unless otherwise directed.
All students should report to the Student Recreation Center for check in and line up. The check in area will be open two hours prior to the ceremony. Lineup for faculty will be in room 158 in the Lumpkin Center.
Rules and Regulations
- All state and federal regulations should be followed.
- CSU is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus. Please refrain from the use of smoke and tobacco while you are here.
- Please hold applause until the end of each row. This ensures every student's name can be heard.
- Photography is permitted, tripods are not. Please refrain from the use of tripods during the ceremony.
- Please remain in your seat until all academic staff have completed the recessional for the ceremony.
- The following items are prohibited from the Frank G. Lumpkin Jr. Center:
- Glass bottles
- Alcoholic beverages
- Pets (registered service animals are permitted)
- Aerosol cans
- Hanging banners, signs, sticks, and poles
- Laser pointers
- Noise makers including but not limited to whistles, air horns, and bullhorns
- Anything deemed inappropriate by CSU or University Police staff
Commencement photographs will be taken of each graduate crossing the dais by a representative of a private company, GradImages. Within three to seven days, a complimentary proof will be made available to all students who have registered online with the company by visiting www.gradimages.com and clicking on the Pre-Event Email Registration link to designate Columbus State and enter their contact information. If the student enters additional e-mail addresses for parents or other relatives, they also will have access to the digital proofs. Orders may then be placed online at www.gradimages.com or by calling 1-800-261-2576.
For those traveling to Columbus, several hotels and motels are available. For information about lodging, as well as places to visit in Columbus, go to the Columbus Convention and Visitors Bureau's website.
Bag & Package Policy (effective April 1, 2019)
Backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to entry, excluding diaper bags and bags containing medical equipment. An age-appropriate child must also be present if a diaper bag is brought along, and both diaper and medical bags will be tagged by security personnel.
CSU does not provide a general area to check any bags or other personal belongings that are not allowed into the facility.
- There will be loud noises at the conclusion of each ceremony. These are planned—please do not be alarmed.
- Learn what it means to be a CSU alumnus.
- For those with limited mobility, please follow the signs for drop-off and pick-up in front of the Lumpkin Center.
- If you forget your cap, gown, or tassel, please visit the bookstore kiosk in the Lumpkin Center Lobby.
Thank you for your continued support!