Rose Hill Methodist Church (SMC 50)
Methodist services in the Rose Hill neighborhood of Columbus, Georgia began with meetings at “the old pavilion” at the corner of Hamilton Avenue and 20th Street in 1888. A frame building was constructed about at the southeast corner of Hamilton Avenue and 21st Street about 1890. This building burned around 1894 and was rebuilt on the same site. The corner stone was laid on June 25, 1909 for a new, brick building at the northeast corner of 21st Street and Thomas Avenue. The old frame building was moved to the rear of the property and housed the Sunday school. The new edifice was designed by T. W. Smith & Co. of Columbus, with J. W. Long as the contractor for the brick and stone work and Mr. W. B. Harris for the woodwork.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of photocopies of materials taken from the cornerstone when it was opened in May of 1989, including a 1909 membership list, and 1891 list of church marriages, Sunday School teachers and students list from 1909, and history of the Ladies' Building circle of the Church and other memorabilia. 1891-1909 1 folder (.1 l.f.)
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the Rose Hill Methodist Church Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required: Rose Hill Methodist Church Collection (SMC 50) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
Gift of the church via Mrs. Frances Preston in May of 1989.
- Folder 1 - Memorabilia from the cornerstone of the church opened on the occasion of its centennial celebration, 1891-1909