This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email
Saint James A.M.E. Church Collection (SMC 38) - Columbus State University

Presidential Search Information and Updates

Archives and Special Collections

Saint James A.M.E. Church Collection (SMC 38)

Organizational Note

St. James A.M.E. Church was organized in 1863. This congregation was originally called "Old Ashbury", the name given by worshippers shortly after the Emancipation Proclamation. The present church is built on land granted by act of the Georgia Legislature in 1873. It was erected in 1876 under the pastorate of Rev. Wesley J. Gaines at a cost of $20,000. The building is of frame construction with exterior walls of solid masonry and handmade brick. The graceful central tower and flanking turrets were added in 1886 during the ministry of Rev. L. L. Thomas. The church has been called the finest example of Victorian Gothic Revival in Columbus and Saint James A.M.E. ranks as the second oldest church of the denomination in Georgia.

Scope and Content

This small collection consists of three photographs of church paintings by Gloria Sampson. The first is of Saint James A.M.E. Church, located at 1002 Sixth Avenue in Columbus, Georgia. The other two photographs are of St. John A.M.E. Church and the First African Baptist Church, both in Columbus. There are two photocopied programs, one for Men's Day June 26, 1983 and the Annual Women's Day Program on September 15, 1985.

1983-1985 1 folder (.1 l.f)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Saint James A.M.E. Collection (SMC 38) must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required: Saint James A.M.E. Collection (SMC 38) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia


Given by the church in 1989. Folder List Folder 1 - Photos and programs. 1983-1985

Virtual Advisor