First Baptist Church Oral Histories, SMC 151
The First Baptist Church of Columbus in Columbus, Georgia was founded in 1829, a year after the founding of the city itself. It was first known as Ephesus Baptist Church until 1833 when it became the Baptist Church of Columbus. Located on Randolph Street, later 12th Street, the church was originally a 28 x 40 wooden structure.
Scope and Content
This collection consists of formal interviews with older members of the First Baptist Church of Columbus. Information includes the basic personal history of those interviewed and their remembrances of growing up attending the First Baptist Church.
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the First Baptist Church Oral History Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:
First Baptist Church Oral History Collection (SMC 151) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
Donated by Ginger Smith in 2018
Item 1 - Mary Hannah Flournoy, 1978
Item 2 - John W. Bloodworth, January 2, 1979 The interview was conducted by William C. Berker (or Berkley) and Edward Neil of the History Committee for the First Baptist Church
Item 3 - Hazel and Hoke Baldwin, January 20, 1979 The interview was conducted at their home located at 1917 12th Street in Columbus, GA for the Sesquicentennial of the First Baptist Church