This website uses cookies. Learn more via our web privacy policy. For questions, please email dataprivacy@columbusstate.edu.
Edgewood Baptist Church Collection (SMC 133) - Columbus State University

Presidential Search Information and Updates

Archives and Special Collections

Edgewood Baptist Church Collection (SMC 133)

Organizational Note

The Edgewood Baptist Church, located on the corner of Forrest and Macon Roads in Columbus, Georgia, began in the mid-1940s with a small group of people meeting for Sunday School at Edgewood School. This group expanded and, sponsored by the Wynnton Baptist Church, began meeting in private homes. By 1949 they were meeting in a barn owned by Mrs. J.M. Beck, where they held their first vacation bible school. The congregation bought the property from Mrs. Beck and on October 23, 1949, Edgewood Baptist Church was formally organized.

The first building, a two story wooden structure, was constructed on a rolling lot facing Forrest Road. This building was later replaced by a brick building. The congregation held their first service in the new church in December of 1953.

Scope and Content

The collection contains a booklet on the history of the church, a booklet on their World War II veterans, an article about the Rev. David Howle and an obituary of Rev. Carl Peacock.

1975-2002 1 folder (.1 l.f.)

Permission to Publish

Permission to publish material from the Edgewood Baptist Church Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:

Edgewood Baptist Church (SMC 133) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia

Provenance

The materials were donated to the Archives after being found in the cedar chest of Avis Ragan, a long-time member of the church.

Box and Item List

Item 1 - The Origin and Growth of the Edgewood Baptist Church, 1948-1975, Columbus, Georgia, 1975Item 2 - We Salute our World War II Veterans, May 28, 2004Item 3 - Retirement service for Reverend David Howle, 1971-2001, January 2002Item 4 - Sanctity of Life Prayer Garden Dedication, May 5, 2002Item 5 - Newspaper clipping on David Howle's retirement as pastor of Edgewood Baptist Church, Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, November 24, 2001Item 6 - Obituary for Rev. Carl Peacock, April, 1998

Item 7 - Photo of choir, 1975 and Vacation Bible School, 1974

Virtual Advisor