Playbill Collection of James Maxwell (MC 331)
Playbill is the theatre magazine for playgoers, published weekly by Playbill, Incorporated in New York City. In addition to the featured plays and actors, there are articles on a variety of subjects, from fashion to football.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of six bound volumes of PLaybill, a weekly magazine for playgoers, dating from 1955-1972 and one from September 1993. Included in the1962 section are 3 copies of the Theatre League of Columbus for the Best Man, Critic's Choice and The Music Man.1955-1972, 1993 1 box (1 l.f.)
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the Playbill Collection of James Maxwell must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:
Playbill Collection of James Maxwell (MC 331) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
This collection was donated to the CSU Archives when the Columbus Public Library closed its archival collections in the fall of 2013. The inscription inside the front covers state that they were the property of the Springer Opera House, Glesca Marshall Library of Theatre Arts, donated by Mrs. James Maxwell. The collection was originally numbered MS 011.
Box and Item List
- Item 1 - Bound volume (green with unicorn on cover), July 1955-1958
- Item 2 - Bound volume (green with unicorn on cover), 1959-1965
- Item 3 - Bound volume (brown), 1961-February, 1962
- Item 4 - Bound volume (brown), September, 1966-1968
- Item 5 - Bound volume (brown), 1968-January, 1970
- Item 6 - Bound volume (brown), January 1970-February 1972