McKenney Family Collection (MC 322)
Jerry Elmore McKenney was born October 19, 1869 in Harris County, Georgia and died April 1, 1944, aged 74. He was buried in Riverdale Cemetery. He was the son of Emaline Hargett and George W. McKenney. He married Elizabeth Autry (Lizzie) in 1896. According to the 1910 and 1920 census, there were 2 children, George W. McKenney, born in March 1897 and Mary L. McKenney, born in 1901. Jerry McKenney had a brother named J. M. McKenney.
Jerry's son George W. McKenney enlisted in the army on Sept 5, 1918 during World War I. He was then living in Columbus at 2839 10th Ave, according to his draft card. By the 1930 census, George was married to Frances C. McKenney, born in 1902. Their only son George W. McKenney Jr. born in 1924. George W. McKenney, Sr. died on March 18, 1972 and is buried in Riverdale Cemetery. The 1930 census further shows that Jerry E. McKenney was living in this household. They lived at 2709 10th Avenue. By 1940, George and Frances and Jerry with George Jr. are still in the same house.
Jerry E. McKenney and family attended Rose Hill Baptist Church in Columbus.
George W. McKenney was the adjutant of the American Legion Post in Columbus in 1921 at age 24. George W. McKenney, Jr. attended Waverly Terrace Public School in Columbus from 1929 to the early 1930's.
Scope and Content
The materials in this small collection consist of 7 folders and a scrapbook, entitled Memory Book, of photographs of the family.
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the McKenney Family Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:
McKenney Family Collection (MC 322) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
These materials were mailed to Callie McGinness, the director of the Muscogee Genealogical Society. She in turn donated them to the CSU Archives in the fall of 2013.
Box and Folder List
- Folder 1: American Legion Life Membership card George W. McKenney (gold medal with leather case), 1969
- Folder 2: Certificates of promotion from Waverly Terrace School, 1929,1934
- Folder 3: Jerry E. McKenney's Memorial Record and Rose Hill Church bulletin announcing his death, April 1, 1944
- Folder 4: Photographs of family members
- Folder 5: Photographs of non-family
- Folder 6: Souvenir Program of American Legion Convention, 1921
- Note: see G.W. McKenney's photo at age 24
- Folder 7: "The 35 Georgian", newspaper of the American Legion, 1964
- Item 1: My Memory Book: a photograph album of the McKenney family and friends from around 1918 to 1970's. Most of the photographs are labeled. 1918-1970s