Adelphian Study Club Records (MC 311)
The Adelphian Study Club has been in existence since 1956 as an offshoot of the Wynnton Study Club. As of 2014, two individuals have been members of the club since its beginning. The object of the Study Club is "to promote higher education, personal improvement and social progress; to work for community, state and national uplift. It shall be non-political and non-sectarian." The Club meets once a month from September to May with a 30 minute program presented by a member and meets in various locations in the city. Members take turns presenting the programs. The annual membership fee is $15.
Scope and Content
This small collection consists of one box of materials with 22 folders of the Study Club's minutes, program topics and yearbooks.
1956-2013 1 box (.33 l.f.)
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the Adelphian Study Club Collection must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:
Adelphian Study Club Collection (MC 311) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
A portion of the materials of this Study Club was given to us by Jane Loflin, one of the founding members, in October 2013. The minutes and history of the club was given to the Archives by Jackie Titus in 2014.
Box and Folder List
- Folder 1 - The Arts in Georgia by Jane Loflin
- Folder 2 - Correspondence
- Folder 3 - The Gospel of John/Chronological Outline of Jesus' Last Week
- Folder 4 - History, Constitution, Bylaws, Club Collect, Program themes and membership list, 2014
- Folder 5 - Judas- the Man who Might Have Been by Jane Loflin
- Folder 6 - Minutes, 1994-95, 1995
- Folder 7 - Minutes, 1996, 1997
- Folder 8 - Minutes, 1998, 1999
- Folder 9 - Minutes, 2000, 2001
- Folder 10 - Minutes, 2002, 2003
- Folder 11 - Minutes, 2004, 2005
- Folder 12 - Minutes, 2006, 2007
- Folder 13 - Minutes, 2008, 2009
- Folder 14 - Minutes, 2010, 2011
- Folder 15 - Minutes, 2012, 1013
- Folder 16 - Newspaper clippings
- Folder 17 - Notes on famous Georgians and Columbusites, handwritten by Jane Loflin
- These notes include: Mirabeau Lamar, L.O.Q.C. Lamar, Henry Benning, Blind Tom, Bradley, Augusta Evans Wilson, George Foster Peabody, Carson McCullers, Osie Hawkins, Nunnally Johnson, Anna C. Benning, Seaborn Jones, Raphael Moses, Dr. F. Ticknor, and R. L. Mott.
- Folder 18 - Pamphlet on Georgia State flag, flower, bird and song
- Folder 19 - A World of your own choosing by Jane Loflin
- Folder 20 - Yearbooks, 1956-1957 - 1959-1960
- Folder 21 - Yearbooks, 1960-1961 - 1963-1964
- Folder 22 - Yearbooks, 1964-1965 - 1966-1967