J. R. Stensell Central of Georgia Railroad Collection (MC 124)
After completing studies at the Piedmont Vocational School in Atlanta, J. R. Stansell started work with the Central of Georgia Railroad in 1945 as a telegraph operator. In 1963, he became the Railroad's Agent in Columbus, handling payroll, billing, receiving, and forwarding freight. He remembers that in that year there were eleven passenger trains passing through Columbus per day. Two trains per day were scheduled to and from Atlanta. Passenger service ended in 1973. Mr. Stansell acquired these records when the Columbus Depot was renovated to accommodate the needs of the new owner, Total Systems.
Scope and Content
The collection consists of three early twentieth-century time-books for Central of Georgia Railroad workers in Columbus, Georgia
1900-1910 1 box (.3 l.f.)
Permission to Publish
Permission to publish material from the J. R. Stansell Central of Georgia Railroad must be obtained from the Columbus State University Archives at Columbus State University. Use of the following credit line for publication or exhibit is required:
J. R. Stansell Central of Georgia Railroad Collection (MC 124) Columbus State University Archives Columbus, Georgia
On June 6, 1999, J. R. (James Riley) Stansell donated these material to the Archives.
Note to Researchers
Box and Item List
- Item 1 – Time Book, 1900-1903
- Item 2 – Time Book, 1905-1906
- Item 3 – Time Book, 1908-1910