Dr. Alfredo Perez
- Ph. D. (2011) and M.Sc. (2009) degrees in Computer Science and Engineering at the University of South Florida
Research InterestsMy main research interests are:
- Privacy / Cybersecurity
- Mobile/Ubiquitous Computing and Sensing
- CS Education, in particular teacher education for middle/high school CS
- Machine Learning and its applications to Human-centric systems, privacy and cybersecurity
- Multiobjective Optimization and its application to Computer Networks and Scheduling
Awards and Honors
- Elevated to IEEE Senior Member. December 1 2021.
- 2020 Turner College of Business and Computer Science Faculty Research Award. August 2020.
- Certificate of Appreciation (with S. Zeadally), Most Popular Paper, IEEE IT Professional Magazine, Fall 2019. Dec. 2019.
- Award for Outstanding Mentorship. Honors College - Columbus State University. May 2019.
- Columbus State University Faculty Research and Scholarship Award 2019. May 2019.
- Outstanding Research Contributions. Office of the Provost, CSU. May 2018.
- 2018 Turner College of Business and Computer Science Faculty Research Award. April 2018.
- 2017-2018 Columbus State University Outstanding Teacher of Writing Award. April 2018.
- Outstanding Survey Paper Award (with S. Zeadally and N. Jabeur), Journal of Information Processing Systems, 2017.
- Invited to serve in the first group of 20 Google Ambassadors for Computer Science Education to promote CS Education in K-12. June 8 / 2017.
- Invited to participate in a Google CS4HS HOA (Hangout on Air) to talk about Middle/High School CS Teacher Support (link). March 2017.
- Faculty Fellowship Summer Institute in Israel, May 2015.
- Invited to participate in the 2013 Meeting of the Colombian Scientific Diaspora. Organized by the Government of the Republic of Colombia in Boston, MA, Dec. 2013.
- Letter of Academic Title. Appointed as Research Assistant Professor (courtesy appointment) for the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at The University of New Mexico. May 26th 2013.
- Awarded NSF travel support grant to attend the 2013 NSF Workshop for CAREER proposals. Temple University, Philadelphia, PA. February 2013.
- Recipient of the 2010 College of Engineering Research Week Poster Award. University of South Florida, College of Engineering, Tampa, FL. Selected among the best 10 posters out of more than 130 posters that participated in the competition. Tampa, FL, October 2010.
- Awarded NSF travel support grant to attend the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications in Mannheim, Germany.
- Latin American and Caribbean Scholarship (USF LACSA) Recipient, May 2006, University of South Florida, Tampa FL.=
- Silver Medal for Academic Excellence. Best Student from the 2006 Systems Engineering class at Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Ranked in the top 1% of the Colombian National Standardized Test for Systems Engineering. November 2005. Approximately 6,000 Systems Engineering students took this test in November 2005.
- Finalist, Colombian Mobile Programming Marathon. Organized by CINTEL (Colombian Center for Telecommunications Research), Nokia and COMCEL (a major cellular carrier in Colombia). Cartagena, Colombia, October 2005.
- Second place of the 2005 Research Experiences for Undergraduates Poster Competition. University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, August 2005.
- Chosen to participate in the 2005 NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. University of South Florida, Tampa, USA. May/August 2005.
- Dean’s List at Universidad del Norte, Barranquilla, Colombia. August 2004 - January 2006.
- Full scholarship to attend College. Awarded by the Colombian Petroleum Company (Ecopetrol). 2001 - 2005.
- Orden de San José Medal. Awarded by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). Barranquilla, November 2000. Valedictorian of Colegio San Jose’s 2000 graduating class.