Dr. Michael Dentzau
I am the full time Executive Director of Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center. The Center is a cooperative venture between Columbus State University and Columbus Water Works, with a mission to provide opportunities for the community to engage with the environment. I am also faculty in the College of Education and Health Professions teaching courses that deal with elementary and middle grades science instruction for pre-service teachers.
My research interests include:
- Evaluating the impacts of out-of-school environmental education programs;
- The use of drawings as a tool for assessing learning about the environment;
- In-service and pre-service teacher self-efficacy for teaching science; and
- Extending the learning beyond the informal visit.
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL - Doctor of Philosophy in Curriculum and Instruction with a Major in Science Education (2013)
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL - Specialist in Science Education (2011)
- Texas A&M University, College State, TX - Master of Science in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences (1985)
- Fairleigh Dickinson University, Rutherford, NJ - Bachelor of Science in Biology/Marine Biology (1981)
- 2013–present: Executive Director of Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center & Assistant Professor of Science Education, Columbus State University, Columbus, GA.
- 2011–2013: Sea-to-See Program Director, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL. Non-tenured faculty in science education outreach.
- 1999–2011: President, Bosso, Dentzau & Imhof, Inc., Tallahassee, FL. Environmental consulting dealing with wetlands and listed species.
- 1996–1999: President, Piedmont Environmental Services, Inc., Tallahassee, FL. Environmental consulting concerning wetlands, waters and land development.
- 1996–1999: Project Manager, The Phoenix Environmental Group, Inc., Tallahassee, FL. Environmental consulting firm.
- 1985–1993: Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Fort Myers and Tallahassee, FL. Environmental Specialist in wetland regulation.