March 19, 2020 - Residence Hall Move Out Guidelines
As you probably know by now, the University System of Georgia has made the decision to move to online instruction for all courses for the remainder of the semester with extremely limited exceptions. This action is in keeping with the University System of Georgia's commitment to the safety and well-being of our students, faculty, and staff members, and in support of our nation's and state's efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19. Please review the following information carefully, and please understand that per University System of Georgia directives, you must adhere to the instructions below. We regret the inconvenience and impact of these measures, but we know that you will join us in together doing all we can to support public health initiatives and practices designed to slow the spread of COVID-19.
- The University System of Georgia (USG) has mandated that residence halls will be closed, with minimal exceptions for students unable to return home, or who cannot find housing elsewhere. Possible circumstances which may be considered for exception include extreme distance to home, unfavorable conditions at home, documented health reasons, residential displacement (homelessness), significant financial challenges of relocation from campus, or other significant, extenuating circumstances. If you believe you meet one or more of these circumstances, you may complete the Appeal to Retain Student Housing Form here: https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?ColumbusStateUniv&layout_id=1
- Appeals will be considered by members of the University's Create Care Team.
- If you are away from campus currently, and cannot return due to reasons such as sickness, self-quarantine, or other health-related reasons, please notify the Residence Life team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The USG has issued a directive that the move-out process will be orderly and scheduled in support of public health guidance regarding the importance of practicing social distancing. You will be given a specific time and date to complete the move-out/check-out process so that we can minimize the numbers of individuals in each residence hall at any given time. It is imperative that you adhere to your appointed time in order to minimize the risk to you and others. You are not allowed to return to campus until your appointed move-out time.
- Residents are limited to 2 guests to assist with the move out process in order to keep the number of individuals in each building low for health purposes.
- It has been further mandated that students who are now away from campus not return until given permission to return to complete the move-out/check-out process. Again, as a student resident, you will be given a specific time to remove your belongings and complete the check-out process.
- Utilizing this phased move-out process through appointed times, we plan to complete the process of moving out students out of all resident halls between now and Saturday, March 28, 2020. Students will be utilizing an express checkout method in order to avoid lines and congregating in the lobbies or common areas. Students will receive a key envelope upon entering the buildings, and should fill this out and utilize the drop boxes in the housing office to return keys.
- In order to obtain your personal scheduled move-out/check-out appointment, please log into the Housing Portal.
- Once we have received guidance from USG on pro-rated refunds for housing and dining, we will notify you as soon as possible.
Again, you must adhere to the instructions above to ensure an orderly and safe move-out experience for all. Should you have questions please email email@example.com. We truly appreciate your cooperation in this challenging time. The safety of our campus community is our highest priority.