March 14, 2020 - HR & Payroll Procedural Guidance on COVID-19
All employees are to work with their supervisor to explore flexible working options and teleworking. Late Friday, the USG provided additional guidance with regard to COVID-19 for employees that we hope will give some clarity and answer questions that have arisen in the past few days. In addition to the information below, two FAQs for employees have been posted to CSU's Coronavirus page: https://www.columbusstate.edu/covid-response/.
First and foremost, if you or a member of your family is ill, please stay home, and notify your manager accordingly.
For employees with leave benefits (FT faculty & staff, PT benefitted staff):
- All employees are encouraged to telework or explore a flexible work arrangement to reduce the number of employees that are on campus at any one time.
- If you fall into the CDC definition of a "high risk" category (are over the age of 60, have serious chronic medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, lung disease), please contact your manager to discuss teleworking or a flexible work arrangement. If teleworking is not an option, you may use all available accrued, unused leave (sick or vacation) time to ensure you are paid for your time away from work.
- If/when your accrued leave time is exhausted, you may apply to use time from CSU's shared sick leave pool (if you previously elected to participate). If you did not elect to participate in the shared sick leave pool or the pool becomes depleted, you may apply for Sick Leave Without Pay to ensure continuity of your health and welfare benefits.
- FMLA leave is available to eligible employees who contract COVID-19 and/or are caring for a qualified family member whom has contracted the virus.
For employees without leave benefits (PT faculty & non-benefitted PT staff, Student Employees):
- Student employees should follow the same guidelines as regular faculty and staff with regard to the CDC guidelines.
- As during normal operations, please do not require student employees to report to work if your office is not staffed with employees who can serve in a supervisory capacity and/or your office is closed.
- Federal Work Study (FWS) Student Employees: The US Department of Education has provided recent guidance. CSU can continue to pay FWS student employees for the hours they were scheduled to work. Supervisors should identify the students that WILL NOT report to work and enter the hours they would have normally worked on their timesheets prior to the payroll deadline. For FWS student employees that will remain at work, please continue to have the student employees clock in/out.
- Student Assistants (Non-FWS/Hourly): Student assistants may continue to report to work, provided they are able to, or telework.
- Graduate Assistants (Salaried): Graduate assistants that receive a stipend and are paid on a monthly basis may also continue to work, if able. Any lost work time should be made up when we return to normal operations.
If you have any questions or need further clarification, please reach out to a member of the HR & Payroll team.