Governor's Emergency Education Relief Fund (GEER)
This award of up to $1,000 provides one-time emergency financial assistance to students encountering unforeseen circumstances due to COVID-19 that may prevent them from continuing their education at Columbus State University. Circumstances that may lead a student to apply for these funds can vary widely. These funds are intended to assist students with financial hardships to complete their education.
To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program leading to a degree.
- Be in good academic standing, and making progress toward degree attainment, as defined by meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines for Federal financial aid.
- Have suffered a financial impact due to COVID-19 pandemic as determined by the institution.
- Have filed a 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and been determined eligible for Title IV federal student assistance.
- Have accepted all Federal Title IV federal student assistance for which they are eligible (excluding PLUS loans but including subsidized and unsubsidized loans offered).
- Student must have an outstanding balance of direct charges to the institution.
- Priority will be given to Pell eligible students. If funds remain after awarding all Pell- eligible applicants that qualify, funds may be used to assist other students that have direct charges owed to the institution and unmet need based on the standard financial aid formula (COA- EFC-all other aid = unmet need)
Award amounts will be determined based on the request, proof of need, and available funds.
Awards will be applied to the student's account and may not be directly refunded to the student as surplus financial aid, nor can these awards cause other funds from other sources to be refunded directly to the student as surplus financial aid.
International students are ineligible for state and federal financial aid, so they are not eligible for this award.
How to Apply
Students must complete an application that requests supporting documentation of the financial or personal circumstances prompting the application. Review of the student's application and situation will determine the funding amount. These funds will then be applied to the student's outstanding balance.