Scholarships and Internships
We regularly offer an array of competitive scholarships to incoming students. Applications are screened by an appointed faculty committee, which has sole discretion in determining recipients of the awards. Recipients who are selected are asked to attend the scholarship and awards ceremony. They will also be asked to write a thank you note to their benefactor in the Fall and serve volunteer hours.
When applying for the scholarships, please keep the following in mind:
- A general application must be submitted for consideration each academic year, as scholarships are not automatically renewed. For general scholarship, you must have a 3.0 gpa. For Funding Future Artist, you must have 3.3 gpa to qualify. Students must be enrolled full-time in Fall 2022 to be eligible for an award.
- We do not offer scholarships for part-time enrollment. Scholarships are allocated to student accounts in the following manner: 50 percent of the award is credited in August for the Fall 2022 and the other 50 percent in the Spring of 2023 semester.
- Students are encouraged to review all information about the awards. Academic and travel awards are extremely competitive. Students should have all necessary credentials for serious consideration.
- One general application guarantees consideration for any of the scholarships for which an applicant qualifies, so it is not necessary to apply for specific scholarships by name.
Department of Art Scholarships
- The CSU Friends of Art Scholarship Award
- The Bebe Smith Art Scholarship Endowment
- The Columbus Junior Woman's Club Fine Arts Endowment
- The Frances H. Ellis Art Scholarship Endowment
- The Columbus Artist Guild
- The Virginia Pekor Culpepper Art Scholarship Endowment
- The Mary F. Passailaigue Art Scholarship Endowment for Art
- The Gerry Bosch Art Scholarship Endowment
- The Allen Horne Scholarship Endowment for Art in Photography
- The Betty Corn Scholarship Endowment
- The Edward Shorter Art Scholarship Endowment
- The Janet B. Hollis Scholarship Endowment for Art
- Friends of Art: Funding Future Artists Scholarship Recipients: May renew this scholarship every year once awarded. The student will need to go through the application process and must meet requirements for renewal.
Please be aware of the deadlines and note that the deadlines may change from year to year.
Contact Professor Hannah Israel for scholarship application questions.
Deadlines and Applications
Please click on the appropriate scholarship to view its application form. You will be prompted to log in to OneCSU before viewing and submitting an application.
- January 31: Early Freshmen and Transfer Scholarship Applications
- March 11: Current and Incoming Students Applications
- March 11: Travel Award (Study Abroad, Residencies, Workshops, and Non-Credit Summer Programs)
- March 11: Funding Future Artist
The department offers opportunities for Study Abroad. We regularly offer Study Abroad experiences in Japan and Italy, supported with competitive Study Abroad Travel Scholarship opportunities. Please see your academic advisor, Center for International Education website, or Administrative Assistant for more information about upcoming Study Abroad programs and be sure to submit a travel scholarship application.
Due to COVID-19 and the safety of our students and faculty we are not offering study abroad in the summer of 2021. Please consider planning ahead for the Art in Italy summer study abroad program 2022.
Internships and Career Planning
The department offers internship opportunities and can provide guidance on career planning and placement. Many of our students benefit from internships within the department, at the Columbus Museum, and other locations. For questions about internship opportunities, see the types of internships for arts majors.
Curatorial and Museum Studies:
- Illges Gallery - Contact Hannah Israel
- The Columbus Museum - Contact Barbara Johnston
- The Bartlett Center and Pasaquan - Contact Michael McFalls